[PLUG] 2-way exchanges with ssh and scp

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Dec 6 12:59:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Rogan Creswick wrote:

> I am a bit confuse, you can copy from your workstation to your laptop,
> or you can copy from the laptop to the server?
>
> "scp salmo:<filename> ."

Rogan,

  From the laptop I can ssh to the server (salmo) and scp files to and from
salmo. From salmo I cannot ssh or scp to the laptop (lemna).

  I copied the new dsa keys (public and private) from lemna:~/.ssh/ to
salmo:~/.ssh/. I added the id_dsa.pub keys from each box to
.ssh/authorized_keys and .ssh/known_hosts on both boxes. That _should_ have
coordinated both, eh? It does, to the extent that now I'm asked for my
passphrase as well as my password.

  Here's the output when I tried to go from the server (salmo) to the
laptop (lemna):

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ ssh -v lemna
OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090602f
debug1: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to lemna [192.168.55.3] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/rshepard/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/rshepard/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x8062b5c(0x0)

  There is _no_ id_rsa file on either machine.

  I'm stumped here and would appreciate any insights anyone has. On the one
hand, doing puts and gets from the laptop is OK, but I am very curious why I
cannot initiate the process from the other side of the connection.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>