[PLUG] Setting up for modem use on laptop

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Dec 6 18:25:03 UTC 2003

  In preparation for a trip next week, I'm trying to set up my Sony Vaio
(with Slackware-9.1) to dial into my ISP. I thought I'd give 'wvdial' a try
to make it easier to set up the connection.

  Grabbed the wvdial source tarball and learned I also needed the wvstreams
tarball. Got that. Started with the wvstreams and 'make' fails. According
to the wvdial site that's because of some incompatibilities with
openssl-0.9.6; problems that are fixed by having the include files and
development libraries. There is no slackware package with these.

  I have on this system
      /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.2.3/include/openssl/bn.h
and
	/usr/include/openssl/*.h

  The wvdial Web site also says that openssl-0.9.7beta is broken so -0.9.6
should be used. On the openssl Web site, -0.9.7 was released 30 Sept 2003
and -0.9.6l on 4 Nov 2003. Huh?

  Anyway, I'm not sure how to procede here. Are there other dialers
(excluding those requiring KDE or Gnome to be installed)?

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>