[PLUG] Re: PGP and S/MIME

Chris Jantzen chris at maybe.net
Sun Dec 7 13:32:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 12:46:06PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 12:37:04PM -0800, Chris Jantzen wrote:
> > If I know the other end is likely to be using Outlook, I just switch to
> > my S/MIME signature, which does work fine.
>
> Do you have a howto on how to sign using S/MIME?

If you Google, there are results on it. It's not an .... easy ...
process. :-( Most of the difficulty lies in extracting the certificates
and chain of trust from the files given to you by your CA. Presumably if
you could find one that's more OpenSSL friendly, sailing would be
smoother. The second difficult part is understand which directories the
S/MIME patch wants the files in, as the documentation is a bit hazy
there.

When I find time, I shall have to sit down and explain it, if you want.

(BTW, Thawte will give you a personal email cert for free, and you can
go and get it signed by people to create a web of trust like GPG.)

Oh, and I remember (and just went and looked) that there is an example
rc block in Debian in /usr/share/doc/mutt/examples

>  Maybe even automate
> it in mutt to do it automatically when it see's Outlook Express's
> User-Agent header?

I tried just now, and apparently in the current incarnation of Mutt,
it's not possible to do general header matching on reply. (It's possible
elsewhere, though.) It is, however, relatively easy to switch on a
per-address basis.

At the top of your -hook blocks, add the following:

send-hook . "unset smime_is_default"

then later, add something like:

send-hook "~C billg at microsoft.com" "set smime_is_default"

--