[PLUG] Linux Server setup

Postmaster postmaster at jblack.org
Sun Dec 7 23:09:31 UTC 2003

Michael,

You probably promised only file server access, but are you aware of
RealVNC and TightVNC, two compatible PC-Anywhere type applications for
Windows and Linux?  If not, Google both those words &/or check out
http://www.linuxworld.com/story/32625.htm and then
http://www.gregmartyn.com/computerhelp/tightvnc.html
The problem you may encounter with any server (VNC or FTP or ...) on
DHCP is finding out the IP address from "outside", since Qwest may
assign a new one at times. To work around that, read
http://www.gregmartyn.com/computerhelp/dyndns.html & follow the links to
dyndns.org to set up a way to access your server by name (dyndns.org)

Surely they are on some kind of router/firewall, so read at
www.dyndns.org about how to set up the firewall to let outside
connections in to the server for specific ports (like the FTP port or
the VNC port).

I am just in the middle of setting this up myself, so can't guide you
any further at this time.  Perhaps others on this list can?

- Jesse