[PLUG] what do you use Emacs for?

Chris Jantzen chris at maybe.net
Mon Dec 8 13:22:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 12:33:59PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> I'm curious, given how extensible it is, what do Emacs users do with it,
> beyond reading email/newsgroups, and editing files?

You mean *strictly* other than editing/coding files? :-)

Like, web, irc, terminal shell, tetris, eliza... :-)

As far as what I *use* it for? I wouldn't code any other way. I have
context-sensitive manpages at my fingertips, doxygen lookups, etc;
function prototype hints, single click file load for #include's, project
file/object/function browsing. I love using it for LaTeX --
auto-complete environment blocks, reftex automatic label management,
x-symbol gui visualization of mathematics, even a microsoft-like
autospell highlight mode.

And, of course, personal customization using a very capable lisp
environment.

I do recognize that probably vim does a lot of the same. I just like
emacs better. I do use vi for tweaking config files (and apparently
writing email, though I'd rather find a better solution with mutt).

--
chris kb7rnl =->