[PLUG] what do you use Emacs for?

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Mon Dec 8 13:24:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 12:33:59PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> I'm curious, given how extensible it is, what do Emacs users do with it,
> beyond reading email/newsgroups, and editing files?

I use it for viewing images (auto-image-file-mode), word processing
(latex-mode), writing email (through mutt), file management (dired),
lisp programming -- and running/debugging (lisp-interaction-mode), it
serves as my shell on occasion (M-x shell is handy in this case), the
calendar (M-x calendar)--although not the schedule features--and the
occasional game of tetris (M-x tetris).

I would like to use it as a window manager, but it needs to support
embeded X apps in emacs windows first.

I don't use it to edit config files very often though.. I prefer vi[m]
for that.

-Rogan