[PLUG] Kernel Panic

Michael Montagne michael at themontagnes.com
Tue Dec 9 06:53:04 UTC 2003

>On 12/08/03, Derek Loree busted out the keyboard and typed:

> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 16:27, Michael Montagne wrote:
> > Upgraded my Libranet system to kernel 2.4.23 and when I boot to that
> > kernel, I get an error, the last several lines are this:
> > cramfs: wrong magic
> > FAT: bogus logical sector size 53888
> > FAT: bogus logical sector size 53888
> > sh.2021:reiserfs_read_super:can not find reiserfs on ramdisk(1,0)
> > kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
> >
> > I used the config file that worked well in 2.4.21 and also ran
> > debian's mkinitrd.  I'm not sure what else to do.
>
> Was this a custom compile or an image install?  Did you change the
> lilo.conf entry to reflect the new initrd image?  It looks like the
> kernel is trying to read the wrong initrd image, or was not compiled
> with the correct options for cramfs and initrd.

It was a custom kernel from the kernel.org sources.  I believe that I
need the cramfs/initrd kernel patch to boot this way.  The only place I can
find that is the debian kernels (the patch and others are included).
I think I need to use the source package and not the compiled .deb
cause I want to reuse my .config file.  Correct?

--
Michael Montagne
michael at themontagnes.com
http://www.themontagnes.com