[PLUG] Kernel Panic

Michael Montagne michael at themontagnes.com
Tue Dec 9 08:26:02 UTC 2003

>On 12/09/03, Derek Loree busted out the keyboard and typed:

> On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 06:52, Michael Montagne wrote:

> > > Was this a custom compile or an image install?  Did you change the
> > > lilo.conf entry to reflect the new initrd image?  It looks like the
> > > kernel is trying to read the wrong initrd image, or was not compiled
> > > with the correct options for cramfs and initrd.
> > >

> > It was a custom kernel from the kernel.org sources.  I believe that I
> > need the cramfs/initrd kernel patch to boot this way.  The only place I can
> > find that is the debian kernels (the patch and others are included).
> > I think I need to use the source package and not the compiled .deb
> > cause I want to reuse my .config file.  Correct?
>
> Yes, but you might want to get the source from debian, most of the
> patching is probably done.  Any particular reason for wanting to use the
> .config from the older kernel?  Custom compiled kernels shouldn't need
> an initrd image, you can compile in all the parts that are required for
> the kernel to boot successfully. Not that it can't be done, it just
> seems that making the kernel with all the parts for your hardware
> built-in would be better.

I wanted the old .config cause it worked well before and it should
work well again.  At least that was my way of looking at it.  The
initrd was only cause that was the way Libranet set it up for me
initially.  I thought I had to do it to support my RAID  array (IDE)
which appears as a SCSI device.  Is that not right?

--
Michael Montagne
michael at themontagnes.com
http://www.themontagnes.com