[PLUG] USB serial support

Zot O'Connor zot at whiteknighthackers.com
Tue Dec 9 12:59:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 12:45, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Can someone suggest where I get the vendor and product codes for this
> puppy? Also, I do not have usb-serial.o on my new laptop; only usb-serial.h.
> However, I do have /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttySUB1.

They will be in dmesg or /var/log/message when linux sees the usb device
attach.

Getting latest hotplug, http://hotplug.sf.net, should help.  Really, it
may very well take care of all your issues.

The module that gets built is usbserial.o (no -).

'locate usbserial' shoudl find it.  Otherwise you will need to compile
the kernel module.  In RH9 I see it just fine.
        /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.o

>   What I want to connect is my digital camera: an Olympus D-340L. Yes, it's
> an antique, but it does all I need it to do.

I take it the laptop does not have a serial port at all?

--
Zot O'Connor

http://www.ZotConsulting.com
http://www.WhiteKnightHackers.com