[PLUG] USB serial support

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Dec 9 13:22:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Zot O'Connor wrote:

> Getting latest hotplug, http://hotplug.sf.net, should help.  Really, it
> may very well take care of all your issues.

  Thanks, Zot. That URL gets a blank page; google tells me it's
http://linux-hotplug.sf.net. And, sure enough, it is.

> The module that gets built is usbserial.o (no -).

  Sonofagun! The USB-serial Web page had it hypenated. The module is there,
and modprobe loads it just fine. What alias/entry should I use with this in
/etc/modules.conf?

> I take it the laptop does not have a serial port at all?

  No. That would have obviated the entire issue. :-) While the Sony is twice
as heavy as the Toshiba, 1 kg vs. 500 g, it has no serial port, parallel
port or floppy drive. It does have a cd-rw drive, monitor port, two USB
ports, a pcmcia slot and built in winmodem and ethernet. The winmodem should
work once I replace the trashed driver. (I cannot build it here because the
slackware-9.1 distribution uses gcc-3.2.3 and Emperor Linux built the kernel
on a Red Hat 7.3 box with gcc-2.96. Sigh.)

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>