[PLUG] SuSE 9.0 installation

Holger Stephan holger001 at frogleg.net
Tue Dec 9 15:17:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 10:04, Russell Evans wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:58:31 -0800
> "Holger Stephan" <holger at frogleg.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 13:46, Russell Evans wrote:
> > > The SuSE installation disks on Ebay are illegal if they are copies
> > > and the person providing them charge for the disks.
> >
> > >From what I heard this is not true. Please provide a proof.
> >

> I sent an email off to SuSE asking and will post the reply back to the
> list if I get one. I asked about another source and they did reply
> saying it wasn't legal, so I think I will get a reply.
>
> Did you do a md5sum on the disks and and do they match the official
> disks? I wouldn't call some person on ebay a trusted source. Ebay might
> be the best way to compromise SuSE systems.  No hacking, just a little
> social engineering ( who can resist a deal ), especially, as I don't
> think the disk md5sums for the disks are posted anywhere on SuSE.

I downloaded the disks and checked the hash. The only license relevant
text I found (without spending too much time on my search) on the disks
was the GNU stuff and a blob for yast. Saying you can copy it and charge
money to cover your distribution costs (I don't sell 'em).

I see no difference between eBay and ftp servers in their ability to
alter and compromise content.

You may well be right and SuSE's license agreement doesn't allow eBay
distribution. I just haven't found any proof for that, in my limited
search.

- Holger