[PLUG] License plates and covers.

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Tue Dec 9 19:50:03 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:42:14PM -0800, Russ Johnson wrote:
> Where is this specified? Where in Oregon Law does it say that I can't
> have a clear plastic license plate cover?

> Another question I can't find the answer to in any O.R.S. is, where does
> it say I must have a front license plate?

It helps to know the state calls them "registration plates."  The way
it reads to me is you get issued a certain number of plates, you have
to mount both where they're plainly visible (and not covered or
vandalized with shellac, or in the case of front plates, thrown on the
dashboard).  Use your head: Why bother having license plates if you're
going to hide them?

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/803.html

803.525 Number of plates issued. The Department of Transportation
    shall issue two registration plates for every vehicle that is
    registered by the department except as otherwise provided in this
    section. Upon renewal or when otherwise provided under ORS
    803.555, the department may issue stickers in lieu of or in
    addition to registration plates. The following shall be issued
    plates as described:

(1) Only one registration plate shall be issued for a moped,
    motorcycle, trailer, antique vehicle or vehicle of special
    interest registered by the department.

(2) Only one plate shall be issued for a camper that is
    registered. Stickers may be issued in lieu of a plate.

803.540 Failure to display plates; exceptions; penalty. (1) A person
    commits the offense of failure to display registration plates if
    the person operates, on the highways of this state, any vehicle or
    camper that has been assigned registration plates by this state
    and the registration plates assigned to the vehicle or camper are
    displayed in a manner that violates any of the following:

(a) The plate must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, if only
    one plate is required.

(b) Plates must be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle if
    two plates are required.

(c) The plates must be in plain view and so as to be read easily by
    the public.

(d) The plate must not be any plate that does not entitle the holder
    thereof to operate the vehicle upon the highways.

(2) A person is not in violation of this section if the person is
    operating a vehicle or camper under and in accordance with the
    requirements for any of the following:

(a) A temporary application permit issued under ORS 803.615.

(b) An agent temporary registration permit issued under ORS 803.625.

(c) Provisions established under ORS 826.007, 826.009 or 826.011 for
    the display of registration plates or other evidence of
    registration on vehicles that are proportionally registered under
    ORS 826.009 or 826.011.

(3) The offense described in this section, failure to display
    registration plates, is a Class D traffic violation. [1983 c.338
    261; 1985 c.668 13; 1989 c.43 28; 1995 c.383 -6]

Also, what legitimate reason is there not to have a front license
plate?  Makes your vehicle easier to identify from the front if it's
stolen and/or involved in a crime, so what drawbacks could there
possibly be by having it there?

- --
 .''`.     Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca>
: :'  :