[PLUG] Notebook accessory (USB->Serial adapter)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Dec 9 20:45:03 UTC 2003

Rich writes:

> > Which USB->serial adapter did you get?
>
>   The brand is SIIG. It has a DB-9 female on one end and a USB male on the
> other end. There may well be some sort of intelligence built into the DB-9
> case, but I have no idea what it might be. It's a model US2308 and comes
> with a mini-cdrom for winduhs and macs. Nothing on their Web site that
> suggests anything about a chip or whatever. It does support USB-1.1 so I
> imagine that it's back-compatible with USB-2.0.

I bought a Siig USB2 board from Fry's once - never did get it to work with
Linux - in fact, it locked up the system.  I don't know whether that was
(1) Fry's repackaged defective junk, (2) Siig incompatability, (3) error
between keyboard and chair.  But if a smart fellow like you can't get
your USB adapter running with the help of all the smart people here, it
may be problem (1) or (2) above.

Note that some cheaper USB controllers are designed to load their firmware
over the USB bus (and the more expensive ones load their firmware the same
way and put it in NVRam) .  So it may be that the unit will never work
unless it talks to a fancy driver available only for windoze.

I hope that is not too discouraging - you have the thing working with
just a bit more work - but if you keep having troubles you may want to
try the thing with a windoze box;  if it doesn't work there, you've
been Fry'd.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993