[PLUG] Notebook accessory (USB->Serial adapter)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Dec 9 21:17:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> I bought a Siig USB2 board from Fry's once - never did get it to work with
> Linux - in fact, it locked up the system.  I don't know whether that was
> (1) Fry's repackaged defective junk, (2) Siig incompatability, (3) error
> between keyboard and chair.  But if a smart fellow like you can't get your
> USB adapter running with the help of all the smart people here, it may be
> problem (1) or (2) above.

  It was the only USB->serial adapter they had. When I return and spend more
time on it I'll have a better idea. I can capture about 200 images on the
smartmedia chips I have for the camera so it's probably not an issue, but I
like the idea of being able to upload the images to the notebook for safer
keeping.

> Note that some cheaper USB controllers are designed to load their firmware
> over the USB bus (and the more expensive ones load their firmware the same
> way and put it in NVRam) .  So it may be that the unit will never work
> unless it talks to a fancy driver available only for windoze.

  As I know nothing about USB (the "thumb" I bought was the first USB device
and my workstations are too old to have them) my naivety may have cost me
$30 plus the time and gas. When I get back I'll check ENU and see what they
have.

> I hope that is not too discouraging - you have the thing working with
> just a bit more work - but if you keep having troubles you may want to
> try the thing with a windoze box;  if it doesn't work there, you've
> been Fry'd.

  No winduhs boxes here. It ain't an option. Besides, working on winduhs
means nothing to me, working on linux does. :-)

Thanks, Keith,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>