[PLUG] SuSE 9.0 installation

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 01:02:16 UTC 2003

--- Holger Stephan <holger at frogleg.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 13:46, Russell Evans wrote:
> > The SuSE installation disks on Ebay are illegal if
> they are copies and
> > the person providing them charge for the disks.
>
> >From what I heard this is not true. Please provide
> a proof.

Under the provisions of the GPL, sellers of media can
charge a "reasonable" amount for material costs. The
tendency, however, is for distributions not to be
provided as .iso's, so that people will buy the retail
product which includes "support," often very
inadequate, due to the inconvenience associated with
installing individual packages.

As a safety measure, SuSE provides very little
downloadable documentation. Red Hat apparently
restricts the use of its name, so that disks of its
software provided by third parties are marketed as
"Linux 9.0," or whatever.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies."--Frederick Nietzsche