[PLUG] A dilema

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Dec 10 17:31:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Ed Sawicki wrote:
> Thanks to everyone that responded. While I know I should walk away, I'd
> feel guilty about abandoning those people whose private information is
> at risk.

I think walking away is the most selfish, irresponsible approach to the
problem and I'm shocked that anyone would respond with such a suggestion.

> I think there are many people and companies who use Windows and have
> similar attitudes about security and privacy and it would be nice if
> there was something we (the community) could do to educate them.

You CAN educate them... and if they don't listen, you should go public as
much as possible.  Let them know your intentions and perhaps speak with an
attorney if you're so worried about it, but you can talk to their
customers and the public about their unsafe practices if they refuse to
listen to reason.

I think it's pretty clear that you know what the right thing to do might
be, but you're looking for something easier.

Most of the time, the right thing is the absolutely hardest thing.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net