[PLUG] Linux installation

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Wed Dec 10 17:43:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Robert Kopp wrote:
> I'm having a problem I don't understand very well, and
> any insight would be appreciated. I am using an add-on
> drive controller (Promise Ultra100 TX2). Although
> Linux is said to support it, I am beginning to doubt
> it. At the same time, the controller is needed to
> support the large drive I am now using.
>
> The installation of Red Hat and SuSE cannot be
> completed at all. In both cases, about halfway through
> it says something about the media being defective, and
> you can reboot now. It worked before the installation
> of the new controller, though.
[...]

I have the same controller running on my RH7.3 system. I had a similar
problem installing RH7.2 since it had the 2.4.2 kernel - which had no
support for ATA100. The install would get most of the way through and
then spontaneously reboot. Once I figured out the problem, I had to
finagle the bagel to load it on my Maxtor 40GB by attaching the drive to
the onboard controller to install RH7.2, then making and booting into
2.4.17 on my RH7.2 system and finally connecting the drive to the
Promise controller. After that I needed to adjust the swap entry in
/etc/fstab and reboot and I was good to go (I use grub as a boot
manager). I've since upgraded to RH7.3.

What kernel are you running?

Sandy
--