[PLUG] OT License plates and covers.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Dec 10 23:01:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Russ Johnson wrote:
> * Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> [2003-12-10 17:33]:
> > Well, that's why we don't have train tracks criss-crossing our cities.
>
> As was pointed out earlier, we have a LOT of train tracks criss-crossing
> our cities.

In relation to the number of automobile "tracks", no... almost none.  It
would be extremely generous to give it a 50:1 ratio.

> > We give up our right to free mobility to the train tracks because it's a
> > small price to pay for the benefits of mass transit.
>
> The vast majority of train tracks are NOT for mass transit.

What kind of massless trains do you think we have in this city?

As I wrote earlier, I wasn't limiting that mass transit to human
transportation.

> > The price of staying out of the way of automobile paths is MUCH higher
> > and the benefits are very few if you're not exceptionally infirm.
>
> I dunno. I've never had a problem staying out of the way of automobiles.

Well, you're not going out enough.  They're freakin' everywhere.  They're
given a huge percentage of the public space in almost every region.  And
in my neighborhood, MOST of that space is used for automobile storage...
fully subsidized by the public.

> But then, I know that if that car hits me, I lose. Even if the law is on
> my side.

That's why they shouldn't be around people.

> I swear that some folks were just never told that cars are heavier and
> harder than people, and to not play on train tracks or in streets. Since
> I moved to Portland, there have been several people killed by Max
> trains. Very few, if any, of these were the fault of the train.

Trains don't take fault... they're just metal and plastic after all.

The responsibility is absolutely on the part of the one wielding the
deadly weapon.

> I don't see cars playing football in parks, so why should people play
> football in the street?

Uh huh... and how about if we compare the land area of neighborhood parks
to neighborhood streets?  And what about the budget of the parks
department versus just the road maintenance division of the transportation
department?  You'd think that the government exists to serve the
automobile industry more than the human beings.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net