[PLUG] GNU hats make good advertising!

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Wed Dec 10 23:58:02 UTC 2003

Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Kyle Accardi wrote:
>>A long time ago I said "line-ux" just because I preferred the long
>>vowel.
>

> I think it's because of the english pronunciation of Linus (as in Pauling
> and Van Pelt).

Probably.

>>But when I met other users face-to-face I adopted the correct form
>>"lin-ux".
>

> I'm not sure where you get the "correct".

Meant "more accepted".

> I mean, Linus isn't "leenuss" as much as he's "leenoos" and HE pronounces
> it "leenooks".  Whereas most folks I know say something between "linnuks"
> and "linooks".

Figure it's fair to take the first part of his name as he pronounces it and
tack on the "nux" from the California "Unix".  As you said: "leenooks".  But
it's just too foreign to my tongue.  I think lazy americans say "lynn-ux"
and that, for better or worse, usually wins.

> I had a friend who said "mizl'd" to describe the act of deliberately
> taking one astray in thought or action.  So you could misle somebody and
> they would be misled.  Get it?

Predated Snoop-Dog?  for shizzle my izzle.

--
Kyle Accardi