[PLUG] Fedora or Red Hat

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:12:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Bill Spears bspears-at-easystreet.com |PDX Linux| wrote:

> I thought we weren't supposed to take power supplies apart!  Isn't the
> fan an integral part of the power supply.  A case is a lot cheaper than
> a house fire (:-).  How safe is this process of replacing a power supply
> fan?

I would say if you have to ask-- don't.  There are capacitors inside that
can give you a nasty jolt even with the cord unplugged.  Shorting them
will arc and can cause burns, blindness, and unnecessary pants-wetting.
;-)

For $30-50 you can purchase a new power supply for your existing case,
which is generally a fairly easy thing to replace.  Alternatively, as you
already mentioned, you could get a new case, but moving all the computer
guts to a new case is pretty time-consuming.

  -- Steve