[PLUG] Fedora or Red Hat

Bill (Zeus) Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Fri Dec 12 11:28:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 01:11, Steve Bonds wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Bill Spears bspears-at-easystreet.com |PDX Linux| wrote:
>
> > I thought we weren't supposed to take power supplies apart!  Isn't the
> > fan an integral part of the power supply.  A case is a lot cheaper than
> > a house fire (:-).  How safe is this process of replacing a power supply
> > fan?
>
> I would say if you have to ask-- don't.  There are capacitors inside that
> can give you a nasty jolt even with the cord unplugged.  Shorting them
> will arc and can cause burns, blindness, and unnecessary pants-wetting.
> ;-)
>
> For $30-50 you can purchase a new power supply for your existing case,
> which is generally a fairly easy thing to replace.  Alternatively, as you
> already mentioned, you could get a new case, but moving all the computer
> guts to a new case is pretty time-consuming.
>
>   -- Steve

Thanks to all, especially those that refrained from the undeniably funny
idea of encouraging me to replace the fan and thereby electrocuting
myself. I replaced the power supply, $25 from Pacific Solutions, and
only had two screws left over (naturally they went under the front
cover, which I could only remove by loosening the CD ROM drive, sigh).
God, these systems get dusty.  Everything appears to work.