[PLUG] Upgrading from Red Hat 7.3 to ...

Evan Heidtmann clydefrog at adnap.no-ip.com
Sat Dec 13 10:25:02 UTC 2003

Bill Barry wrote:
> I did a 7.3-> Fedora upgrade on a machine and am happy with the results.
> There was one problem in the upgrade with the printing system. Fedora
> no longer comes with the lprng printing system, it uses cups. An application
> that I had written needed slight modification to work with cups.
>
> I have machines with Debian, Gentoo and now Fedora and don't see any
> really significant advantages of one over the other. Deep down they
> are mostly the same.
>
> If you want the smoothest upgrade I recommend Fedora. If you
> want to spend some time and learn another system Debian would
> be a good one to try.
>
> Bill Barry

Fedora certainly offers the vastly preferable option of upgrading the
current system rather than completely reinstalling.  However, the
bleeding-edge aspect of Fedora sounds ominous.  Is the bleeding-edge
stuff just about scaring server admins into buying RHEL, or is there
some truth to it?

The printing issue is a non-issue for my server.  The only hardware I
need support for is the ethernet card.  If I were to do the upgrade to
Fedora, is it at all possible to do the upgrade remotely?  The server is
at a friend's house and I may not be able to get physically in front of
it before the end of the year.

Thanks to everyone else.  I will look into the various distos mentioned.

Evan