[PLUG] Re: Fedora or Red Hat

Keith Morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Sat Dec 13 17:36:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Mike De La Mater wrote:

> I'd check the fans before diving checking the drive. I just jam
> something into standard PS and case fans to stop them. I LOVE it when
> customers tell me that their growling noise just stopped after a while.
> Most assume that it fixed its self. I REALLY would like responsible PC
> builders to quit using sleeve bearing fans in all PCs.

After building a couple of thousand pcs I couldn't agree more.  I'm
continually impressed by the fans that Intel supplies with the boxed
processor product line. I've only see two that have failed.  The first on
a pentium system that had so much dirt/dust in it that the heat sink was
packed allowing for no air flow.  The second was on my personal P4 2.4Ghz.
Fan just outright failed during normal operation.  I suspect it was more
to do with the windings on the motor rather than the bearings.