[PLUG] Upgrading from Red Hat 7.3 to ...

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sat Dec 13 22:43:02 UTC 2003

> From: Evan Heidtmann <clydefrog at adnap.no-ip.com>
> Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> > Whether or not money is a concern, Debian is an extremely
> > good choice, very long release cycles, and very stable. Debian though
> > will likely not have everything you had in RH 7.3, and some of the
> > binaries may be older, but future updates will be much easier. Libranet
> > should make the transition much easier than Debian, but they haven't been
> > around as long as Debian.
>
> You've nearly convinced me to go to Debian.  I tried to use
> http://packages.debian.org/ to check to see if the packages i need are
> available, but the site is still down due to that compromise last month.
>   So if you don't mind, I'll pick your brain.  These are the services I
> run (in priority order):
>
> ssh (openSSH 3.1p1 right now, would really like to upgrade)

The official package is 3.4p1-1.woody.3, which would be OpenSSH 3.4p1
with security and packaging patches.

> http (apache, including php and cgi. Would like to upgrade php to 4.3.x)

Apache package 1.3.26-0woody3 is current, again Apache 1.3.26 with
patches.

PHP package 4.1.2-4, no luck here though this will include backports of
all the security patches.

> smtp (using sendmail now, but for no particular reason)

Debian's prefered mailserver is Exim, but Sendmail is also packaged,
8.12.3-6.6.

> pop3 (using gnu-pop3d, also for no particular reason)

No gnu-pop3d in stable, but there are a zillion other pop3 servers
available in Debian-stable.

> And a variety of user-level programs, including VNC and an ircd.

Package ircd, 2.10.10.pl18-4, "Undernet ircd"; package dancer-ircd,
1.0.31+maint8-1, "OpenProjects Net ircd". I believe there are a couple
VNC clients and servers, the official vncserver though is 3.3.3r2-20.

> What are the versions of these things that are available in debian?  And
> which flavor of debian should I get?

Given that stability is a concern, "stable". stable is just that, stable,
rock solid, alas this does mean updates are very far apart, the current
stable was released about a year ago and it is looking like the next
release is about 1 year away. "unstable" is the bleeding edge, as such
things get broken. "testing" is in between, things generally mostly work,
but things do get broken.