[PLUG] metacharacter oddities

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Dec 14 11:18:01 UTC 2003

Yo gang,

Is there a printed or online reference somewhere that documents Linux
metacharacters? Here is one example of what I'm looking for: in
programs like Pan and Kmail, there are options for configuring external
programs:

gvim %f = Kmail external editor -- %f = file
mozilla %s = Pan web browser --  %s = URL
xterm -e vi %t = Pan external editor --  %t = file

Even from this small example you can see the inconsistencies, and I
haven't found anything that says 'the percent sign is used in variable
substitution.'
Now these here programmers must be learning this stuff somewhere!
There's often these odd little option flags in applications, and
sometimes it's difficult to find out what they mean, and what other
options might be available. If it is permitted, this lowly luser wants
to know the sekkrit options.

thanks,
Carla
--