[PLUG] Re: WiFi Card

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Dec 14 15:31:02 UTC 2003

Regards wireless cards for Linux, look at

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/Client_5fAdapters_5f802_5f11b

For some information on wireless cards.  I run a rebranded Senao
200MW PCMCIA card on my laptop.   In general, Prism chipsets are
well supported, and more power is better.

If you blew up a PCI card in your desktop, you will probably find
that it contains a little metal box.  Pop the lid and inside is a
... PCMCIA card! ... in a socket with connectors.  If you feel
strongly about staying with a PCI card, you may be able to pop in
a new PCMCIA card (with appropriate connectors) into that socket
and get the PCI card working again (maybe - the PCI interface
chip could be blown and this would not work).  You may even find
that unseating and reseating the card restores function;  temperature
cycling sometimes walks devices out of sockets, and sometimes a poor
connection will oxidize.  Worth a try.

I've already ranted about why an external AP is better, but if you
weren't convinced then, you won't be convinced now, so we will leave
that aside.  Blowing up a PCI card in a desktop does add yet another
interesting argument against PCI cards, though!

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993