[PLUG] Re: WiFi Card

Zot O'Connor zot at whiteknighthackers.com
Sun Dec 14 21:33:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 15:29, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Regards wireless cards for Linux, look at
>
> http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/Client_5fAdapters_5f802_5f11b
>
> For some information on wireless cards.  I run a rebranded Senao
> 200MW PCMCIA card on my laptop.   In general, Prism chipsets are
> well supported, and more power is better.
>
> If you blew up a PCI card in your desktop, you will probably find
> that it contains a little metal box.

I have and addtron PCI card what is a PCI->PCIMCIA bridge.......  No
metal box on that one.

I took apart the AP.  Same metal card with a piece of crap connector to
the external antenna, and a few chips (ethernet, pcimcia, and web
browser).

I have been told, the USB devices are the same.

> I've already ranted about why an external AP is better, but if you
> weren't convinced then, you won't be convinced now, so we will leave
> that aside.  Blowing up a PCI card in a desktop does add yet another
> interesting argument against PCI cards, though!

I have been wondering if USB wireless devices get better reception since
they have an external antenna (while cheap) and reside outside of the
box, and can be positioned better.

--
Zot O'Connor

http://www.ZotConsulting.com