[PLUG] Relative newbie needs help bringing wireless MN-520 on-line

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Dec 17 02:17:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 00:14, Roger Neyman wrote:
> Fairly new to Linux, but most things seem to be going well. That is,
> except when I try to activate my wireless connection. I get:
>
> cannot activate network device wlan0!
> prism2_cs device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.
>
> In spite of the fact that cardcfg yields:
>
> Socket 0:
>   product info: "NETGEAR", "FA411", "Fast Ethernet"
>   manfid: 0x0149, 0x0411
>   function: 6 (network)
> Socket 1:
>   product info: "Microsoft", "Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520", "", "1.0.3"
>   manfid: 0x02d2, 0x0001\
>   function: 6 (network)
>
> The same results happen when the FA411 card is not present.
>
> I dug into linux-wlan-org before making my purchase and read a lot about
> how to install this.
>
> I'm fairly sure I have /etc/wlan/wlan.config and
> /etc/wlan/wlanconfig-SSID correctly written and I've installed all three
> packages for linux-wlan-ng v0.2.1.pre-14 and am running Fedora Core 1
> (updated via yum to be pretty much current.)
>
> Any pointers? advice? comments?

Try this:

http://linuxquestions.org/questions/history/89946

Some of the people there have gotten it to work.  It is a prism2 card,
so it should be usable.  (Unless the "Microsoft" portion is
conflicting.)

--

"If we can't compete with some guy sneaking a camera into the theater,
or a blurry, encoded, postage stamp-sized file, then please -- just