[PLUG] Reformat a partition

Michael Montagne michael at themontagnes.com
Wed Dec 17 06:13:03 UTC 2003

I seem to have a problem with reiserfs.  When using cp -al on a large
group of files I get lots of errors that look like this:
Dec 17 06:08:11 zipper kernel:
vs-3050: wait_buffer_until_released: nobody releases buffer (dev
08:04, size 4096, blocknr 20938752, count 3, list 0, state 0x10019,
page c19265cc, (UPTODATE, CLEAN, UNLOCKED)). Still waiting (810000000)
JDIRTY !JWAIT
The partition becomes inaccesible.
This seems to be a reiserfs problem and I can solve it by changing
filesystems.  I have several partitions on this drive (all reiserfs).

How do I reformat just that single partition to ext3 or ext2?  I
realize that the data will be lost on that partition but are the
others safe?  I'll back up real important data, but how worried should
I be?

--
Michael Montagne
michael at themontagnes.com