[PLUG] deadbeats on contracts. . .

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Wed Dec 17 08:50:21 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 00:55, Karol Kulaga wrote:

> It looks like the best thing right now is to file in small claims
> court, but we are looking for some other options, such as repossession
> / putting a mark on the company's credit record. It would be nice to
> have a lawyer actually work for us, but the limited amount that they
> owe us doesn't exactly seem to attract lawyers who don't want money up
> front.

You could sell the bill to a collections agency for probably about $600,
I think.

AFAIK (I'm no lawyer) small claims court maxes out at $5K.  Since we're
crossing state lines, things may be even more complex than that.  If you
are unable to file in Washington state as your company is (I assume)
based in Oregon, that leaves Federal court... and I don't know about how
things go there, but I think they're a bit busy for claims as small as
$6000.

I'd suggest following Rich's advice of contacting an attorney and
allowing them to write a letter on your behalf... they'd also know for
sure what your options really are.

Rob