[PLUG] Lost attachments sent to Earthlink customers

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Dec 17 16:32:02 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 9:58 pm, Don Buchholz wrote:

> Don't know if it will help, but attached is a note that I wrote to
myself.
> Because *.DOC, *.XLS, and many other Microsoft formats are viral
vectors,
> Microsoft's security updates started blocking visibility of these
attachments
> to Outlook users.  (See Microsoft Knowledge Base 290497.)

 Is this a joke?? It blocks the recipient from seeing the attachment,
but it's still attached to the message. How lovely for taking advantage
of all those nice auto-execute features! So it can still do its dirty
work, but the recipient will be bathed in a nice, warm bath of
ignorance.

 "Outlook 2002 includes a new security feature that blocks attachments
that are considered unsafe. If you receive an e-mail message that
contains one of the blocked file types, you may receive the following
warning message:

Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments:
[...]
Although Outlook has blocked access to the attachment, the attachment
still exists in the message."

And if the user is determined enough, and can follow simple
instructions, they can go ahead and open it.

ow ow ow wake me up when sanity returns, please.

--
Carla Schroder