[PLUG] Relative newbie needs help bringing wireless MN-520 on-line

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Dec 18 09:38:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 00:14, Roger Neyman wrote:
> Fairly new to Linux, but most things seem to be going well. That is,
> except when I try to activate my wireless connection. I get:
>
> cannot activate network device wlan0!
> prism2_cs device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

Since I first read this post, I have purchased a Prism II card that has
required the use of the non-wireless-extensions-friendly wlan-ng
driver/utility... so perhaps I can help.

> Socket 1:
>   product info: "Microsoft", "Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520", "", "1.0.3"
>   manfid: 0x02d2, 0x0001\
>   function: 6 (network)

Microsoft makes WiFi cards now?  All the better to spread viruses with?

> I'm fairly sure I have /etc/wlan/wlan.config and
> /etc/wlan/wlanconfig-SSID correctly written and I've installed all three
> packages for linux-wlan-ng v0.2.1.pre-14 and am running Fedora Core 1
> (updated via yum to be pretty much current.)

With the card in the slot, please run iwconfig wlan0 and tell me what
you see.  If it says no such device, then our problem is a few steps
below having the configuration files.

If it says no wireless extensions (in response to Paul's email you said
that is what it said, but failed to mention the device names to the left
of where it said no wireless extensions - you do have one to two other
network devices in there that iwconfig would check)... something is
strange with the drivers.. it shouldn't say that if the driver is
loaded.

What's the output of "lsmod | grep prism"?

We can work from there, I think.

Rob