[PLUG] InFocus LitePro 580 bulb

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Dec 19 23:25:02 UTC 2003

... the lamp assembly for Karol Kaluga's LP 580 projector needs repair ...

Derek Lorelee <drl at drloree.com> writes:
> Yeah, I used to be pretty good, too bad I don't have a wire feed arc
> welder.  Does it have to be welded, would solder work just as well (I do
> have solder equipment)?

OK, we have the technology.  I think.  The lamp assemblies in projectors
get close to red hot, certainly hot enough to melt solder, hence the
need to do small spot welds.  Probably a couple of 1mm wires, some
rivets, and a jury rigged holding clip or two.  We will need measurements
off Karol's old unit; the diameter of the reflector, an estimate of the
distance from filament to the front of the reflector holder (this will
probably need shims to match) and then a hunt for a <150W metal halide
bulb that uses the same voltage, is cheap, and likely to stay in
production for a while.

Can we bring welding equipment into Jax's?  :-)

OTOH, this is just another 640x480 unit, same as Zot's machine, and
it also doesn't provide the projector serial id info to the computer,
making X setup painful, so this may not be worth the effort. :-(

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993