[PLUG] cups client not able to print

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sat Dec 20 11:31:02 UTC 2003

On Saturday 20 December 2003 11:02 am, Brian Quade wrote:
> I have cups set up on a server machine and it works just fine.  I want
> to set up a client machine as a client to use that printer.  I tried
> using both lpadmin and the web interface and no matter what I do, it
> will not print a test page.  I am using RedHat 9.0 and
> cups-1.1.17-13.3.0.3 on both machines.

You are probably bit by the infamous ACL (access control list) bug. All
Linux boxes on your network should automagically see all of your CUPS
printers, assuming your networking is correctly set up, because CUPS
broadcasts itself to the network. Do this:

"In cupsd.conf, find:

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

Add the local network information using values appropriate for your
network:

Allow from 192.168.1

Then find the BrowseAddress section and specify the broadcast address:

BrowseAddress 192.168.1.255 "

For more kewl making-cups-work stuff:
 Printing with CUPS, Part 1 & 2
http://networking.earthweb.com/netos/article.php/2233051