[PLUG] How can Microsoft get my business?

John Telford john at johntelford.com
Sun Dec 21 10:38:26 UTC 2003

Microsoft is distributing two online surveys to Linux User Groups and
Linux users in general, one asking primarily about home computer use,
the other about business use. See:
http://www.newsforge.com/os/03/12/21/1546240.shtml

How can Microsoft get my business? For starters, how about delivering
secure and stable products at a fair price. Then, how about telling the
truth when confronted with product security and stability issues.

Speaking of telling the truth, Microsoft could publish all the secret
application programming interfaces so all vendors could compete fairly
in the market place. Let' not forget about telling the truth when under
oath in a court of law.

Dumping their long time PR company for one that doesn't seem to view
truth as the enemy, and dumping Steve Balmer for someone who seems to
having a conscience, would go a long way in restoring a modicum of
confidence in the company.

So, how can Microsoft get my business? It probably can't. Bill Gates
seems to have made choices early on about security, reliability, and
truth telling. There is no practical way to rectify them now because
they seem to be corner stones of Microsoft company culture. Getting a
culture's head straight is a very difficult, if not an impossible task.

In my opinion, the fundamental problem facing Microsoft isn't a
technology one but a human one. I don't think any amount of money, or
training, or engineering will fix it.

...John
John Telford - Owner - JohnTelford.com LLC
503-292-6865 - fax: 503-292-3094
Email: john at johntelford.com
Web: http://www.johntelford.com  Weblog: http://ITnews.johntelford.com