[PLUG] USB->serial converter, Part II

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Dec 21 14:46:02 UTC 2003

  At yesterday's clinic Dan helped me get to the point where the converter
is recognaized. (The problem is that the USB bus was not always loading
during the boot process.) So when I now look at /proc/bus/usb/devices, there
is the USB->serial converter. But, the light on the converter stays off;
perhaps it should light only when data flow across the connection.

  I have a symlink /dev/photopc --> /dev/ttyUSB1. But, I cannot get the
software to recognzize the port. I tried pointing /dev/photopc at both ttyS0
and ttyS1 with equal lack of success.

  Two questions:

  1) How do I determine the device name of the port being used by the
USB->serial converter?

  2) Is there another technique I can use to test this converter and see why
it's not working?

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)