[PLUG] Another network problem

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Sun Dec 21 16:34:06 UTC 2003

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   My notebook used to have no problems connecting to the Web -- or
> pinging -- external hosts. Today I can ping internally but not
> externally. When I try to use mozilla to reach google I see:
> "connect: network not reachable".
>
>   ifconfig shows that eth0 is up. "route -n" shows, for eth0,
> "192.168.55.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0",

1. On the notebook, run

     route -n | grep UG

   You should see the ip address of your gateway machine.

2. On the gateway machine (is it a Linux box?), make sure that you're
   forwarding packets:

     /sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward

   It should contain a value of 1. If it's 0 (zero), then something's
   wrong.

Oh, I guess I should ask the prior question: can other hosts on your
network successfully get to misc. sites on the wider Internet?

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>