[PLUG] Pocket Print servers

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Sun Dec 21 21:47:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 20:08, Robert Kopp wrote:
> I have a LAN that presently has two computers; the
> smallest possible, by definition. Anyhow, the "print
> server" is not always turned on. A pocket print server
> would take care of this problem, and many of them are
> under $100.
>
> Would this be a good idea, or are they a lot of
> trouble? If a good idea, does anyone have
> recommendations as to which one to choose?

I have a LinkSys print server.  It works pretty well.  Both Windows and
Linux use it.  The instructions are a little obtuse.  (They assume
Windows.  They could make instructions for Linux quite easily, but they
don't.)  Getting the queues to work right took a little bit of work.

The problem is that all of the print servers i have seen out there
assume parallel printers.  Many of the new printers are USB only.

--
Alan <alan at clueserver.org>