[PLUG] kde / x / mouse issues.

Karol Kulaga root at loraksus.org
Tue Dec 23 10:34:02 UTC 2003

Ok, this is probably a stupid, easily solved problem, but
one that I can't figure out, and I'm kind of going in
circles . . .

The mouse works in X fine (I get the cutesy, yet useless X
cursor) but as soon as kde goes to "initializing periphials"
the xserver crashes. Parts of the error logs below. Full
error logs at
http://loraksus.org/linuxstuff/

I have 2 questions:

1. Is the mouse working / configured properly? I'd say yes
because of the "X" cursor, and didn't have any problems
(i.e. server crashes) before kde was installed. I'd kind of
assume this is some system wide setting, although I'm
probably thinking too much of the windows "1 user/computer"
world.

2. How do I get kde to start without crashing the xserver?
;)

Thanks a lot / in advance / happy non-denominational winter
times ;)

Karol.

Misc stuff:
-----------
I installed via "apt-get install x" followed by "apt-get
install kde" on pretty much a bare debian system (I don't
think I installed anything else by default.)

/dev/input/mice exists, is a link, however if I try to cat
it, I get "No such device"

cat /dev/psaux beeps and puts cool characters on the screen
when I move the mouse, whatever that is worth

I don't see why xf86OpenSerial is being used to access
something on a ps2 port, but I'm assuming it knows what it's
doing. . . (i.e. (**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "PS/2")

I've tried to make /dev/input/mice a link to /dev/psaux (it
is a ps2 mouse, wasn't sure if this was the right thing to
do, figured what the hell - it didn't work of course . . .

using 2.2.20-idepci / debian woody.

(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
	No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse"
(type: MOUSE)

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 4.  Server aborting