[PLUG] Message log interpretation needed

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Dec 24 08:15:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I'd guess that you've got some persistent processes running on ports
> 901 (swat) and 98 (linuxconf), while having /etc/inetd.conf entries
> for them as well.
>
> 2) comment out the entries from /etc/inetd.conf
>
> Am I making any sense?

Paul,

  Not only do you make sense, but you taught me how to track down what
caused the messages. I then discovered the reason behind it all.

  Both the undesired processes are at the end of /etc/inetd.conf; past the
line that reads "EOF". Shrug. I normally keep inetd turned off. When I
checked the atime for /etc/inetd.conf I realized it was the Sunday before I
left on my trip. I turned on inetd so the pop3 server would run and allow my
fiancee to access her e-mail from her laptop in another room. I had
neglected to check /var/log/messages for spurious, unintended processes.

Many thanks -- and happy holidays,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>