[PLUG] Re: Promise drive controller

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Dec 24 14:47:02 UTC 2003

I have two Promise Ultra133 TX2 drive controllers, in two Linux systems,
with two different kinds of motherboards.

On one system, there are two big drives on the controller, /dev/hde and
/dev/hdg.   Two CDRs are plugged into the IDE slots.  Everything works
just fine.

On the other system, I find that I cannot put more than one hard drive
in the system without the kernel getting confused - at boot time, it
picks files off of both drives and panics.  I can only have one IDE
hard drive on that system.  After some dinking around, it seems to
be due to the motherboard - an ASUS P4T-E .  I can run a second drive
off a USB2 controller.

Bottom line is, your motherboard may be the culprit.  It may not work
nicely with a second IDE controller with multiple drives.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993