[PLUG] Re: Rio Karma linux support

Keith Morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Sat Dec 27 19:07:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Russell Evans wrote:

[snippage]

> Even if the network's dhcp server doesn't work with the karma, I'm
> assuming a lot of commercial SOHO firewalls/routers don't do bootp,  you
> can set it up with a static address to get access. Interestingly; the
> Ethernet cable supplied with the Karma is a straight-through, not a
> crossover cable, so you'll need a switch or hub to plug into. I would
> think one system with modem or broadband connections are the norm, and a
> crossover cable would make more sense in the package. Or, maybe they
> are thinking a one system setup will use the usb connection?

One thing I've been seeing lately is that some ethernet devices, in this
case a 24 port Dlink switch, can flip the port automatically if it senses
that the far end TX/RX are not setup correctly.  Thereby eliminating the
need for crossover cables.  I would expect hardware vendors to include
this capability in their ASIC and software designs.  Hopefully anyway.