[PLUG] Moving in to the new partitions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Dec 28 08:42:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Evan Heidtmann wrote:

> Thanks to everyone!  I managed to get my hands on parted and a bootdisk
> and now have new partitions waiting to become /tmp, /var, /usr, and
                                                            ^^^^

  Best to make /usr/local separate, not all of /usr. The latter will be
overwritten during upgrades, the former will not.

> /home.  I am now looking at how to copy all the files in the current
> /var, /usr, and /home to their new partitions.  I tried cp, but that
> destroys all the permissions and ownerships.  I can restore these by
> hand, but is there a better tool?

  Perhaps 'tar'? I've never tried to copy from one filesystem to another
with the same name.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>