[PLUG] USB Drive Help

Ron Braithwaite ron at nutriware.com
Mon Dec 29 11:21:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 02:48, Derek Loree wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 22:20, Ron Braithwaite wrote:
> > Santa brought me a USB2 drive holder for my 120 GB drive. It works great
> > on Mac OS X and (ick) Windoze, but I am not certain how to get it
> > working on my laptop. I *do* have USB working with my Palm, so I know
> > that works.
> >
> > At any rate, I suppose I could suss this out eventually (RTFMP), but
> > it's just easier to ask the assembled masses. I'm lazy.
>
> Mine works with hotplug, I think it loads a module called "usb-storage"
> (try "modprobe usb-storage" if you're not running hotplug), then maps to
> the next available scsi drive , which depends on your system, but is
> probably /dev/sda, and already has a partition (FAT), so you could
> "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt" or something like that.

Thanks to everybody for the advice. Took very little thrashing, all
things considered.

Derek's hint that it would be treated as a SCSI device got me to fire
off ls /dev/sda* which gave:

/dev/sda@  /dev/sda2@  /dev/sda5@

I tried to mount each in turn to a directory I had created under /mnt
and got happy with:

mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/usbfs

I then added this line to /etc/fstab

/dev/sda5  /mnt/usbfs vfat   defaults,user,auto,rw 0 0

And everything seems to work right.

Again, thanks to Derek, AthlonRob, and Marvin for responding!

-Ron

--
Ron Braithwaite <ron at nutriware.com>