[PLUG] where does Red Hat start x?

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Dec 29 22:21:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 21:53, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Ok Red Hat deities, I'm trying to figure out where RH starts X in runlevel 5.
> I've pored over scripts and followed symlinks in endless circles, to no
> avail. rc3.d and rd5.d look exactly the same.
>
> The bigger question I'm looking to answer is How To Stop an X Session.
> Changing runlevels seems rather drastic simply to stop a single service. Yes
> I know about
>
> - ctrl- alt- bksp, which does no good if gdm is enabled, and is kind of a
> harsh thing to do anyway
> - boot to runlevel 3, then use startx, so that logging out of X drops back to
> a text console
>
> By 'X session' I mean any window manager or desktop.

As other people pointed out, it's the prefdm line in /etc/inittab.  If
you don't want X to start, change the first non-comment line in the
inittab so the default runlevel is 3 instead of 5:

id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

To make it effective immediately (or temporarily, w/o editing inittab),
from a shell as root run 'telinit 3'.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
*  Naked Ape Consulting                  http://nakedape.cc  *
*  Sangoma WAN Products Reseller   http://nakedape.cc/r/wan  *