[PLUG] Dual Booting Linux, Windows XP

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 11:30:02 UTC 2003

--- Russell Evans <russell-evans at qwest.net> wrote:
> On 30 Dec 2003 11:07:37 -0800
> "Marvin J. Kosmal" <lamsokvr at xprt.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 10:54, Russell Evans wrote:
> > > On 30 Dec 2003 09:52:05 -0800
> > > "Marvin J. Kosmal" <lamsokvr at xprt.net> wrote:

> hda1 is the first partition on hda, most likely
> whatever version of
> Windows is installed there.

Yes. For example, if you should type

grub-install /dev/hda1 instead of
grub-install /dev/hda

it will take a long time to recover. Returning to the
present issue, Kun Wei of Cal Tech addresses
dual-booting Redhat 7.1 and XP Pro:

In Linux, run "dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512
count=1" providing the boot device is /dev/hda3 as
example shows

In Linux, run "mcopy /bootsect.lnx a:" . If you don't
have mcopy, download the tools, it is in mtools (
http://mtools.linux.lu/)

I've got it.

OK, now reboot to Windows XP Professional
Copy A:\BOOTSECT.LNX to C:\
Edit C:\boot.ini, you may need to modify the file
property to change it.
Add "C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="RedHat 7.1" to C:\boot.ini and
save. (May I call it "SuSE 9.0?")
Reboot, now you should have the menu to choose which
OS you want to boot into.

I think that's what I am going to try. The URL is
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~weikun/dualboot.htm and
the author is weikun at caltech.edu.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies."--Frederick Nietzsche