[PLUG] Postfix aliases...

none 1663eesa at robinson-west.com
Wed Dec 31 13:43:01 UTC 2003

Can individual users have an aliases file in their home directory?
I want to allow individual users to create their own aliases to
their mail accounts.

I want to block sending mail offsite with a source address
"local user name"@"localdomainname."

Assuming alias files in home directories are possible...
For users to create their own aliases, I need to verify
alias files they create so that they can only create aliases
to the mail account they own.  I also need to make sure
that aliases they request don't collide with the requests
of other users.  I prefer a do it yourself solution.

Another option is to put an admin controlled alias file in
each user's home directory that contains the aliases for
that user and then have users IM admin with their new alias
requests.

A third option is writing a C program to maintain an alias
database and update the alias file.  The query server can
be perl with EasyTCP interfaced to the C program either
through text files or calling the C program through command
line args.  Probably don't need a daemon.  If I go to the
trouble of an alias database I should probably maintain a
list of discarded aliases to avoid having abused aliases
getting reused too soon.

After aliases files are changed, does Postfix have to be restarted
for the changes to be applied?

If I implement imap, I should probably have a local website where
a user can request to see all of his/her aliases.