[PLUG] GUI sftp

Russell Evans russell-evans at qwest.net
Wed Dec 31 14:24:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:50:34 -0800 (PST)
"Paul Heinlein" <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Mike De La Mater wrote:
>
> > Is there a preferred GUI sftp client? I'm hesitant to just find one
> > on sourceforge, since I have no idea how secure or honorable the
> > intentions of the authors are.
>
> gftp works pretty well, though getting the sftp settings correct can
> be a bit frustrating:
>
> After setting the host, port (typically 22 for sftp), user, and
> password -- then set the protocol-selection menu to SSH2.
>
> Then, mouse your way to FTP -> Options and
>
> * [optional] In the Network tab, set Default Protocol to SSH2.
>
> * In the SSH tab, check the "Use SSH2 SFTP subsys" box. Uncheck the
>   "Enable old SSH protocol" box.

I'm looking at my current gftp configuration and not seeing "Enable old
SSH protocol" so I'm thinking you are using an older version.

2.0.15
Removed legacy SSH protocol. THe SSH2 protocol is now the only SSH
protocol  supported. You had to enable an option in 2.0.14 to be able to
use this  protocol.

I could have sworn there was a exploit in <.15 but I can't find any
information about it. 2.0.16 is much much better than any previous
version and I would recommend upgrading just for the happiness factor.
pre .14, I think, doesn't have large file support also.

Thank you
Russell