[PLUG] broadbrand advice

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sat Feb 1 08:58:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Alice" == Alice Corbin <ali at axian.com> writes:

Alice> I'm thinking about getting a broadband connection to the internet
Alice> and am looking for advice.

I've been using an ATT cable modem for a couple of years now.  Works
great.  Then again, I don't need high upload speeds or a server.  (I
rent server space at a professional co-lo.)  My total downtime is less
than 8 hours in two years.

Alice> I'm thinking along the lines of a hub/firewall in the basement,
Alice> with cables running up to the first and second floors.

Alice> I'm not too thrilled with either ATT or Qwest, but they seem to be
Alice> the only games in town.  But I'm really apprehensive about the
Alice> wiring.  I live in a 1920's wood-frame house, with gobs of windows
Alice> and blown-in insulation.

Alice> Any suggestions?

Yes, get a wireless hub.  If it's all wood frame, you should have no
problems going through the wood up two stories.  Linksys makes a nice
firewall/NAT-router/wireless unit for somewhere under $150, if I
recall.  And then you'd need wireless adaptors for each unit to be
attached... USB/802.11b can be as cheap as $60 (I'm using one on my
TiVo).