[PLUG] broadbrand advice

Scott Van Hoosen svanhoosen at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 09:05:02 UTC 2003

I understand your sentiment, I too believe competition
is very important to good service and price. In the
case of AT&T's cable modems, it is true that they are
the only choice for cable, but they do have
competition: DSL. Right now I am staying with AT&T
because they are several times faster for downloads
than DSL, and it's cheaper. Also, I have been very
happy with the product: very little downtime, always
fast and stable, etc.

They are not a broadband monopoly, because if they
decide to raise their prices too high, or if their
quality diminishes, I can switch to DSL.

One other reason that I would switch to DSL: at the
moment, my IP address is technically dynamic, but they
could change my IP address if they wanted to. They
have only done this once in a year, but if it began
happening often, I would switch to DSL because I like
to run a web server, and to log in remotely through
ssh, etc, and would want a static IP.

-Scott